On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Jean-Marc Liotier <j...@liotier.org> wrote:

> Looking at the profiles of nearby mappers displayed on my profile page's
> map, I am astonished to find that most of them have made zero edits.
> Those people went through the effort of registering (some even added an
> avatar picture) but then did not use their account for anything - no edits,
> no traces, nothing. Why ? Are these mere spam registrations or are we
> actually losing good potential mappers in the first hours of their life
> as Openstreetmap users ? How many of them do we have ? Do we have logs
> that we can analyze to understand how they came to Openstreetmap and how
> they dropped out ?

My opinion is that they are too intimidated to actually make an edit. I
have no data to back that up just my own experience.

One of the features I'd really like to see is a way to send mapping party
announcements to people in the mapping party area. Of course we'd need a
way for people to opt out, but inviting people out to become part of a
community is a good way to engage more users.  Lacking the skills, I hoping
that someone steps to the plate and codes this feature. Any takers?

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch