I don't at all want to discourage improvements, the efforts of the WWG,
etc, but at the same time we have to be clear that this kind of ratio
is pretty common amongst crowd sourced projects.  For example, if you look
at English Wikipedia's stats, there are over 800K "wikipedians" (and
note, they've made at least 10 edits; I couldn't find stats that
included users with fewer total edits).  Of them, only about 30000 make at
least 5 edits in any given month.  For the details, see
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm

Regards, Brad