Dieter wrote:

DH> 1)  The  decision  to  _not_  compress  the  main executable didn't harm
DH> anybody: download size of the beta was approx. the same size as always -
DH> and the same happened to the full install.

Actually, to point something out...

If a large program is compressed into a small image, it should load
considerably faster, even considering the fact that it needs to be
decompressed.  A PC with a 100 MHz bus can process (ideally)
approximately 3.2G of data per second, but the hard drive only
delivers (at maximum, or "ideal", throughput on IDE, which is what
most of us have) 66M of data per second.  So, once the executable is
in memory, it's 500 times faster to decompress it than it is to read
the "extra" data off of disk...

Anyhow, I digress...

I too thought someone was complaining about the loss of 2M.  I don't
even complain about 2M on my firewall which has only 16M free on
400...

Lief said:
LG> I'm not a big programmer, so I'm not going to pretend that I
LG> understand exactly what happens, but most-- if not almost all --
LG> applications you install have their primary executable compressed.

I don't know how true that is, but I do know that it's a common
first-pass executable protection for piracy.  That is, it's a lot
harder to patch instructions into an executable when the instructions
aren't really there.  Compression of executables has a number of
benefits, the least of which (these days) has to do with conserving
disk space.

That said, I've got a 100% reproducable system lock on my computers
with TB!.  Start TB! and Artifact from http://www.samugames.com/ (it's
free, don't fret) at the same time (adjacent buttons on the
quick-launch bar, or perhaps both having Ctrl-Alt launch shortcuts),
and it'll lock my machines up hard at the same time.  The developer of
Artifact is a friend of mine, I reported it to him, and he just said
"don't do that" so I don't; it sounds like a lot of different
Delphi-based programs have this trouble if they try to simultaneously
start.

-tom!
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]