Lennart Thornros <lenn...@thornros.com> wrote:

> Let us leave the dispute about organizations.
> I actually started to address the topic in the headline by saying:
> The debate about global warming is far from conclusive. I do not know the
> answer.

You do not know the answer, but experts in climatology say they do know it.
They are probably right. Non-experts from outside a field -- such as the
plasma fusion scientists who attacked cold fusion -- are usually wrong.

You probably know next to nothing about climatology, because it is a
complex subject. Therefore you have no basis to judge whether these experts
are right or wrong. I know nothing about climatology so I have no basis to
judge either. But as I said, as a general rule mainstream experts in hard
science who have devoted years to research are usually right, so I defer to
them.

I am sure that the comments by anti-global warming journalists are
preposterous. I know enough about the subject to judge that. For example,
they often say that we cannot even predict the weather 5 days ahead so how
could anyone predict climate change decades from now. This is like saying
that we cannot predict whether you will be alive tomorrow so how can anyone
draw up actuarial tables for groups of people?

It is presumptuous for anyone to assume they understand climatology better
than climatologists, or cold fusion better than Fleischmann, Bockris or
McKubre. Even in 1989 I found it infuriating when people such as George
Chapline (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory) and Morrison claimed that
Fleischmann did not realize that highly loaded palladium hydrides release
hydrogen when recombines at the surface, making the metal hot. It was used
as a cigarette lighter in the 19th century.

By the way, what I am saying NOT -- repeat not -- a Fallacious Appeal to
Authority. That would only be the case if Fleischmann was not a leading
expert on electrochemistry and calorimetry, and he unquestionably was. See:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

Most people attacking cold fusion and climatology suffer from the
Dunning-Kruger effect. Especially the idiots at Scientific American and
Wikipedia. Here is an amusing short description of the Dunning-Kruger
effect by John Cleese. (Cleese teaches at Cornell University which is how
knows Prof. Dunning.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWX8pl9B1Hk