On 08/24/2016 08:14 PM, David Roberson wrote:

Just consider what you would believe if shown that the steam readings 102.8 C, and 0 bar were accurate?

But, as pointed out in one of the exhibits, that /can't/ be accurate. The volume of steam was quite large; consequently, the flow rate in the /steam /pipe must have been very fast, and to drive that flow requires a pressure differential. Unless the pressure on the "customer site" was below atmospheric, the pressure at the point where the steam entered the line /must/have been above atmospheric pressure. So, the 0 bar number must be wrong.

How far wrong it must be, I can't say (I'm totally out of my field when it comes to friction in a pipe carrying steam) but it doesn't take a huge overpressure to raise the boiling point by a couple degrees. Throughout I've been tacitly assuming that the pressure is slightly over atmospheric, matter what was claimed. As I said earlier, this has been the issue since the beginning, four or five years ago: The steam temperature is always kept low enough so that, with very slightly elevated pressure in the line, the claim that it's "totally dry" may be false.

Of course, if the pressure reading is wrong (as it apparently must have been, else the system would not have worked at all, as the steam would not flow without a differential), then there must be an explanation for the error. Your Bernoulli effect idea sounds good.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Aug 24, 2016 7:45 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Interesting Steam Calculation

I'm having trouble understanding the problem you're having seeing how he could fake it.

The power calculations depend on the steam being dry, and there's no evidence it was.

They also depend on the flow meter reading accurately, and there's no evidence that it did.

If the flow was lower than claimed, and the steam was wet, the power could have been just about anything. No matter how many people looked at how many gauges, the conclusion is going to be the same. Run some numbers assuming wet steam -- it doesn't have to be very wet to be carrying most of the mass as liquid rather than gas, since the liquid phase is so compact, and that makes an enormous difference to the output power.

What more do you need?

BTW note that there was no flow meter in the *steam line*. That would have been diagnostic (had it been chosen to work correctly with either steam or water, of course).