From: Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Wed, Aug 24, 2016 8:29 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Interesting Steam Calculation

On 08/24/2016 08:14 PM, David Roberson      wrote:

        Just consider what you would believe if shown that      the steam
readings 102.8 C, and 0 bar were accurate?

    But, as pointed out in one of the exhibits, that can't be    accurate.  The
volume of steam was quite large; consequently, the    flow rate in the steam
pipe must have been very fast, and    to drive that flow requires a pressure
differential.  Unless the    pressure on the "customer site" was below
atmospheric, the pressure    at the point where the steam entered the line
musthave been    above atmospheric pressure.  So, the 0 bar number must be
wrong.

    How far wrong it must be, I can't say (I'm totally out of my field    when
it comes to friction in a pipe carrying steam) but it doesn't    take a huge
overpressure to raise the boiling point by a couple    degrees.  Throughout
I've been tacitly assuming that the pressure is    slightly over atmospheric,
matter what was claimed.  As I said    earlier, this has been the issue since
the beginning, four or five    years ago:  The steam temperature is always kept
low enough so that,    with very slightly elevated pressure in the line, the
claim that    it's "totally dry" may be false.

    Of course, if the pressure reading is wrong (as it apparently must    have
been, else the system would not have worked at all, as the    steam would not
flow without a differential), then there must be an    explanation for the
error.  Your Bernoulli effect idea sounds good.