Chris Zell wrote:

I am NOT being critical of your efforts or anyone else in trying to promote acceptance.

I got that. I knew you were not.

My point is, why should you be "nauseated by the fact that such is deemed necessary"? Public relations ploys have always been a necessary part of science. Right from the very start, when Galileo botched the "sale" of telescope and then blamed the "customer" (the Cardinals). Actually, he soon got it right, and scored a big public relations coup, and was rewarded with a lavish government defense contract to provide an instrument that was obsolete a few years later, and worthless. (It was to provide a telescope for the military, for harbor defense.)

Public relations and politics are human nature. We cannot transcend them. Why should you be "nauseated" by something that has always has been an integral part of life. It is a bit like being nauseated by sex, if you don't mind me saying. Icky it may be, this is what people and other primates do.

. . . things have drifted into a sterile orthodoxy dominated by scientific hierarchs.

Well, it is rather depressing, but there was never a time in the history of science when it was not dominated by sterile orthodoxy dominated by scientific hierarchy. You should not look back at some mythical golden era when this was not the case.

I will grant, the problem is probably somewhat worse today than it has been on average. We are at a low ebb. But this has always been the situation in science, and in other institutions such as education, banking, fine arts, computer programming, warfare and others. There are short periods when novelty and unorthodox methods flourish, but stasis then returns. For example, in fine arts the Impressionist period lasted from the 1860s to the 1880s. Before and after that lie decades of Sterile Boring Uninspired Imitative Paintings. In physics, Newton introduced a revolution of course, but it was soon converted to orthodoxy and remained unquestioned until the late 19th century. A revolution then came, but the fundamentals were settled by the late 1930s. Within the bounds of these settled orthodoxies tremendous progress was made. But people such as Arrhenius or Fleischmann, who wanted to introduce fundamental new ideas and disruptive discoveries invariably get the bum's rush.

Scientists imagine that they are open minded and more willing to look at novel ideas than other people, but history shows that is untrue. It is a shame, but that's how things are. They muddle through anyway. The institution might work better if they would try living up to the open-minded ideals they endorse in the textbooks. Maybe. Who knows? It might actually cause more problems. It has never been tried. There is not 1 in 100 scientists who actually do what they are supposed to do, for example, by honoring the replicated experiment above theory. Scientists who do this are so rare they are called out and made examples of, cited in textbooks, and approved of with tearful acclamation (seriously!). They are treated as heros if they manage to survive, that is. First, as we all know, they are treated as villains, bums and lunatics. Read biographies or an honestly written history of science, and you will see that pattern repeated over and over again, in every era, in every field.