I stand in support of Reliable.

I do not discount Chan and the other fellows that follow his design lead as
kooks. On the contrary, their approach may be superior to what Rossi has
done.

As an underlying design principle, I think that it is the shape of the
catalyzing cluster that is important not what element it is comprised of…
water, cesium, potassium, carbon… the cluster is made of. The engineering
and control may be very different, however.

As long as the cluster can hold a charge; that is what is important. It is
this charge that suppresses the coulomb barrier.

I think it important that experimenters try out carbon as a LENR catalyst.
I don’t think Rossi uses carbon as his secret sauce because he states he
uses pure hydrogen. Using Bulk Carbon powder would be a poor way to
distribute carbon around the hydrogen envelop.

A better way to get carbon into the act is to use a hydrocarbon gas instead
of vaporizing bulk carbon and hydrogen. Vaporizing bulk carbon is not easy
from a practical point of view.

In an easier way, without any oxygen in the reactor’s envelop (important),
under the action of a spark plug discharge plasma at 60,000C, the
hydrocarbon gas would decompose into hydrogen and some sort of carbon dust.

This dust may form as carbon nanotubes(a one dimensional superconductive
cluster) which would store electrons from the plasma produced by the spark
plug.

This long thin tube would be superconductive and concentrate negative
charge like a capacitor. These nanowires would be electrostatically
attracted to the nickel powder, they would attach themselves
electrostatically head on to the nickel powder, and their accumulated
negative charge at their sharp tip would reduce the coulomb barrier where
their sharp tips contacted the nickel powder.

This is not the way Rossi’s reaction works, but I think that it is a better
way. Rossi’s secret sauce is heat activated to accumulate charge; but the
carbon nanotubes accumulate charge in proportion to the discharge rate of
the spark plug.

If you want to increase heat output on a nanotube based system, just
increase the spark plug firing rate. Control of heat output is a simple
process with an advantage of simplicity over what Rossi has been struggling
with over more than a year.

Cheers:  Axil