Some additional finding on silicate layers:
Miles found that the formation of silicate latyer in the PF experiments was
occuring and possibly essencial to get the effect.

Details:
The silicates on palladium cathodes is mentioned in the interview with
Miles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ZM2z_fVcE&feature=player_embedded#<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dj7ZM2z_fVcE%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded%23&urlhash=25T5&_t=tracking_disc>
!
(@ around 13:45 min timestamp)