At 09:48 PM 9/25/2012, Eric Walker wrote:
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <<mailto:a...@lomaxdesign.com>a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

None of what has been written recently in this thread addresses calorimetry or any evidence of nuclear reactions, I want to make that clear. That something gets hot sometimes and sometimes not isn't even close to such evidence.

Appreciated.

thanks.

The thought was that if you could find a way to demonstrate LENR above the error threshold of a mercury thermometer, there could be some mischievous fun to be had in presenting the toy experiment to Lewis, who, it seems to me, made the fairly straightforward job of measuring the flux of heat in a cell into something inordinately complex.  Which is not to say there are no subtleties in calorimetry; only that it should have been clear that one of the best electrochemists in his day would be able to work out the power emitted from a P&F cell above the error threshold, strongly suggesting that there was something going on besides experimental artifact.  Instead, Lewis chose to attack the 1989 paper on methodological grounds.

It should have been clear, but we should also understand that Lewis was not standing alone. He voiced, at that famous APS conference, what many were thinking. That's why his speech was wildly popular among physicists.

They weren't thinking about Pons and Fleischman as expert electrochemists. They were thinking of them as incompetent physicists. P & F were not physicists at all, though they certainly knew enough physics to know that what they had found was supposed to be impossible. What they had set out to do was test the physics, with an electrochemistry experiment. Apparently physicists did not like their theories being tested by outsiders.

Humanly, it's not surprising.

Pons and Fleischmann had made some mistakes, but those were rather easily found and corrected, it didn't take long. Lewis et al, on the other hand, had *institutionalized* some serious errors, and that did damage that still continues in popular opinion among many scientists, who never gave the matter the attention it truly deserved.

That's shifting, as was inevitable, given that *not everone* gave up. Anyone who seriously followed the field would have realized that something was awry by late 1989, as confirmation of the resports of XP from PdD started to come in. But it's also understandable why this might be dismissed.

See, almost immediately, after the announcement, a huge number of groups started to attempt replication. It is *not* that the finding was ignored, as some of us make out to be the case. It was far from ignored. But the exact details of what Pons and Fleishcmann had done were not easy to come by. If it is possible to make "some mistake" with calorimetry -- and it is, we see experts debunk results from calorimetry all the time, including experts like Dr. Storms -- then some percentage of replication efforts would include errors. And if there is reporting bias, and there is, there might be an appearance of confirmation purely by chance.

Now, a careful analysis would show something different, but most scientists, not intimately involved with some subfield, aren't going to take the time to do that careful analysis. I'm just saying that the general reaction was understandable.

However, some scientists should have known better. Anyone who wrote a book about the field, like Park, should have been far more careful. Huizenga wasn't careful, he laced every page with notes that what was being claimed was impossible, and the argument was always the same: what was being reported wasn't like hot fusion. He just made the leap to "therefore it wasn't fusion." A lot of people did that, it wasn't just him. To his credit, he noticed and commented on Miles, the heat/helium findings, which were still at a level of conference paper. He knew the significance.

All the other skeptics, as far as I know, studiously ignored those findings, except for Jones, who attemped to refute the work on totally spurious grounds. Jones' comments were enough to allow many to think that the results were questionable. The power of correlation was ignored, and we've seen that ignorance even recently, with Shanahan, who asks, if the calorimetry is garbage, how can heat/helium mean anything? Must be some mistake.

Precisely! How could a correlation appear in garbage results? That's the whole point! Shanahan did not actually show that the calorimetry was garbage, only that, he claims, a certain possible error had not been ruled out....

Shanahan is the last gasp of the pseudoskeptics. That position is, I'll keep repeating, dead in the journals. Dead as a doornail. But many physicists, totally ignorant of what has been published since the mid-1990s (and largely, as well, of what was actually published before then), still believe that it's healthy and powerful and just plain right.

I'm not looking up Lewis' paper at this point. What I know is that Lewis tried to replicate, not knowing what to do. He failed to replicate, that's obvious. Reporting that failure was appropriate. Making it mean that Pons and Fleischmann were totally incompetent was completely beyond the pale. Really, it would be fantastic if Lewis would apologize to the memory of Fleischmann, and to Pons, who is still alive.