Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Jed, it is too late because no practical way exists to stop burning fossil
> fuels.

I am sorry but this is nonsense. The Chinese are presently building 30
nuclear power reactors, and they are installing roughly that much wind
power. If the U.S., Europeans and the Japanese were to build reactors, wind
and solar at that rate, and if all First World countries were to
aggressively develop plug-in electric cars and pure electric cars in crash
projects, within 20 years we could reduce fossil fuel use by a large
margin. We could export this technology to the Third World.

We could also begin massive reforestation projects to capture CO2.

We could also help Third World people replace kerosene illumination with
solar powered LED lights.

These projects would cost a great deal of money but they would also have
many benefits aside from reversing global warming.

There are countless other ways we could rapidly reduce fossil fuel use. We
lack only the will, not the means. Even without cold fusion we could stop
the threat of global warming in a generation, and make a huge profit doing
it.

> The demand for energy is rising too rapidly, especially in China. It is
> impossible to satisfy this demand without burning coal, natural gas, and
> oil.

This is simply not true. It hasn't been true since commercial nuclear power
was developed. There is a huge supply of uranium in the world. In France,
they get 80% of their electricity from it!

Fukushima demonstrated the risks and disadvantages of nuclear power.
Obviously it is not ideal. Nothing is. It is better than continuing with
fossil fuel and raising the sea level by 9 m in 80 years.