No, Jed, it is not nonsense. It is simply a difference of opinion. Yes, the Chinese are working hard to get energy. Meanwhile the Japanese are burning more fossil fuel because they are afraid of fission power, which we all should be. The issue is not what we might do or could do if we were smart. The question is what will we actually do. Yes, we lack the will - that is my point. This approach will only change after the problem becomes obvious to the least smart among us. That is the way the system has always functioned, I'm very sorry to say. So live with it rather than wasting time wishing things were different.

Yes, France has been lucky and very smart. This is a very rare condition among nations, which the history that you respect demonstrates. Meanwhile, a big part of the Ukraine and Japan can not be inhabited. If the cooling pond at Fukushima collapses, much of the world will suffer the same fate. You can also be sure that the race to build reactors rapidly in China will have its own demonstrations of incompetence.

Nevertheless, we need to discuss reality, not what we hope might be real someday.

Ed