On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> Maybe we are making headway in this discussion.  Can I assume that you are
> now saying that the hot cat can actually produce heat by some unknown
> process?  So far it is not clear that you accept this premise.

For heaven's sake. You piddle along asking stupid questions to avoid
actually addressing my objections.

Let me spell this out for you.

I am skeptical of the ecat, partly because *if* it worked as he claims with
a thermal-to-thermal COP of 3 or 6, (1) it would be easy to make it
self-sustain (possibly with thermostatically controlled cooling), and yet
he doesn't, and (2) it would be difficult to control with the addition of
heat.

What I said was that it is possible to conceive of a situation in which one
could control positive thermal feedback with adding heat, particularly if
the external heat were concentrated and at a higher temperature -- think
flames to sustain charcoal briquets when they are being lit. But the hot
cat uses external heat that is more diffuse and at a lower temperature than
the heat from the reaction, so it is very difficult to imagine -- think
controlling glowing embers with a space heater held nearby.

And even if it were possible, it's the last way any sane person would do
it. If the thing produces heat, and there's a danger of runaway, the
obvious way to control it is with thermostatically controlled cooling. The
claim that he needs heat to control it is such an obvious excuse to allow
him to add heat, I'm amazed true believers buy into it.

So, no, I think it highly unlikely that the hot cat is actually producing
heat by an unknown process. But that's totally irrelevant to the question
of whether it's plausible to use heat to control it *if it were producing
heat*. Do you understand the concept of a hypothetical?

> Then, are you agreeing that DC current flowing in the primary due to
rectification …

I didn't follow the dc discussion you're talking about, and I don't follow
what you're saying about it here. But that's not the point. I don't believe
we could enumerate every possible way to trick those meters, even if we had
a decent report about how things were connected and where the measurements
were made, which we don't. But the way to exclude tricks is to take the
control of the experiment away from the suspected deceiver. Give open
access to the hot cat under whatever necessary supervision. This test was
the furthest thing from that, and it used unnecessarily complex input, a
severely inadequate device to measure the input if there was suspicion of
deception, and an indirect way to measure the heat output, when much more
direct and visual methods are available.

> I have not personally been following the energy density so I must leave
that discussion to those with more knowledge.  No one really knows exactly
how LENR works including me so that is unfair to ask of me.

And you don't see a double standard here? You said that anyone unqualified
to describe how a deception might work is not allowed to speculate that
deception might be occurring based on sadly inadequate measurements and
scrutiny, And yet you say you are not qualified to explain how such a high
power density is possible without melting the nickel, or how nuclear
reactions can happen in the first place, and yet that doesn't stop you from
speculating -- nay practically guaranteeing -- that they are happening.

You know, there would be a very easy way to at least show that the heat is
coming from the central cylinder (if it were), just by putting a
thermocouple on it and outside the resistor radius. But of course, they
didn't do that either, did they?