I would disagree with requiring the Wiktionary communities to change their
ways. Instead we should adapt our plans to fit into the way they are set up.

Even if the English Wiktionary community would change to have per-language
pages instead of the current system, it would be rather unlikely that all
other language editions of Wiktionary would follow in a timely manner. I
would prefer to leave this decision to the autonomy of the projects, and
instead adapt to them (which is, by the way, what the proposal does).

Yair, as Daniel said, the current Wiktionary pages would not be mapped to
Q-Items. Since this was unclear, I tried to update the text to make it
clearer. Let me know if it is still confusing.

I do not think a separate Wikibase instance would be needed to provide the
data for Wiktionary. I think this can and should be done on Wikidata. But
as said by Milos and pointed out by Gerard, lexical knowledge does indeed
require a different data schema. This is why the proposal introduces new
entity types for lexemes, forms, and senses. The data model is mostly based
on lexical ontologies that we surveyed, like LEMON and others.