My overarching advice is start with the basics. No plug-ins, no javascript
front end.

It’s interesting that people want you to add a javascript front-end. I’m
working on some React stuff now, so there’s a place for it, but I’d suggest you
wait until you need it and not start there.

1. No plug-ins to start, use native 4D. Not that other tools aren’t great, but
if you don’t know why you’re using them, they won’t make sense. You can start
with any text editor, like the others I like WebStorm. But that has a learning
curve too. Visual Studio Code is cross-platform, free and is a nice balance
between a text editor and a full blown IDE.

2. I prefer to put 4D behind Apache (others use Nginx) so that 4D only deals
with data. Apache can be configured to deal with static content (images, style
sheets, etc.). Especially if your site could be accessed by the world, use a
web server in front of 4D.

3. You're displaying data. So, you’ll need to modify 4D access the data
(queries) and send the right template/json back to the browser.