Hi Keith,
My app is still on v15 but I think the principles are consistent for what
I've got to add. I'll also point out I'm much more a 4D developer than a
web developer so I tend to keep my we apps on the lean and simple side.

That said I keep the HTML out of 4D as much as possible. What's that mean?
It means 4D either responds to a request from a page for data (usually a
JSON) via API calls or populates a template via PROCESS TAGS. No building
html in 4D code. There are a lot of advantages to this approach. It means
that whatever you use to build the web pages can change without _having_ to
change 4D and the other way around. This approach also makes it easier to
build web pages that can be served via a web server or directly in a web
area.

The concern about plugins and anything else resolves itself. Use web tools
to build web pages (I like Atom these days) and use 4D to do 4D. I have
tried various IDEs but haven't found one that makes it easier for me to do
sites but I probably don't use them enough to appreciate their virtues. I
am skeptical that an IDE is useful until you have a really firm
understanding of what it's doing for you, however. So they won't really
help if you don't have any web expertise. On the other hand there is a
remarkable amount you can accomplish in a web site without numerous tools
and overly complicated frameworks.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 1:08 AM, Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
> We have an extensive 4D system to which we want to provide summary
> overviews and drill-downs via the web.
> I have a couple of questions I'm hoping somebody will be able to answer...
>
> Are you using 4Dv16 in a client server environment as well as providing a
> web interface to the data?
> If so, we would like to know what software and plugins do you use to make
> the web environment happen?
> - software and plugins for development?
> - software and plugins for deployment?
> - are you able to do the web development without getting the 4D
> programmer(s) involved (apart from describing the data structure)?
> Thanks in advance, Keith

> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

*We go vote - they go home*