I use Xojo, http://xojo.com. I may be the only 4D developer on the planet that
uses Xojo. If you are interested, I am doing a 4DMethod online presentation on
April 25, “Leveraging 4D with a Xojo Web app front end”. For more information
go to http://4DMethod.com

I have 5 Xojo web apps deployed, all working with 4D Client/Server
installations. 3 are working with the same 4D server.

> - software and plugins for development?

        4D: No plugins.
        Xojo: MBS Xojo Utility Plugin forom monkeybreadsofware.com (lots of
plugins available)

> - software and plugins for deployment?

        Same as for development. You simply do a build in the Xojo IDE which
creates a command line web application for deployment.

> - are you able to do the web development without getting the 4D programmer(s)
> involved (apart from describing the data structure)?

        Xojo web app development is completely independent of 4D. Someone will
need to write the code in 4D to consume and respond to http post and get
requests from the Xojo web app. In 4D I respond using XML or JASON formats
which Xojo unpacks into dictionaries. Very easy on both ends.

John

John Baughman
Kailua, Hawaii
(808) 262-0328