I had to do that once.  Throttle stuck wide open.

From: Josh Luthman
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2018 11:55 AM
To: AFMUG
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: push button vehicles

Why would you emergency shut off the engine?  That sounds absolutely suicidal.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:40 PM Matt Hoppes <mattli...@rivervalleyinternet.net>
wrote:

  We are looking to refresh one of our SUVs. Everything seems to be going push
start - which scares me for several reasons:

  1) key fob battery death - leaving you stranded. Apparently with most
vehicles there are hidden keys and slots. Ok.

  2) needing to perform an emergency engine stop at highway speed. Apparently
you can hold the stop button for three seconds (which I might add can be a very
long time and a long distance at 70mph!)

  3) that brings us to 3. Assuming the engine is forced to stop at highway
speed. How do you: a) put the vehicle into ACC mode so the wheel stays unlocked
b) attempt a restart of the engine (while shifted to neutral) while the vehicle
is still moving from previous engine momentum?

  Although this may seem trivial. I’ve had 2-3 instances over my 20 years of
driving where I’ve either had to dead stick a vehicle into a service location
because of a broken component that died at highway speed, or another engine
issue. In all cases, having to stop the vehicle to attempt an engine restart
would have caused me to get stranded rather than arrive at a location where the
vehicle could be serviced.

  #20YearsWithoutNeedingATow