Get your check book out :)

On 2/9/2019 11:27 AM, Chuck Hogg wrote:
So here's why Google Fiber failed.

1.  Microtrenches were done as little as 2" in some areas. When roads got resurfaced, they ate up Google Fiber. Additionally, you could go down a road and see foam coming up in some areas.  Google Fiber contractors were not what I'd call first rate.  They were being pressured by the local project manager to get things completed fast.  Anyone in construction knows that means quality can go to shit. 2.  Anytime a permit was pulled for Google Fiber microtrenching, AT&T owned the poles, so they deployed fiber within 2 weeks of a permit.  The work usually didn't commence for a month and by that time, AT&T had went through and signed up a bunch of customers.  So Google Fiber take rate was not very high as AT&T built faster than them.  AT&T project managers were given an "unlimited" budget to beat Google Fiber on every project.  Spectrum would also upgrade those same areas to latest DOCSIS technology to deploy gigabit speeds as well. 3.  Lots of promises and not a lot delivered.  They know the plant does not have a long term life and don't feel like fixing things.  So now the city has to deal with it for the time to come.

That sad part is that a lot of my friends have it where it is available to them.  They like it a lot and don't want to go back to AT&T/Spectrum.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:20 PM Bill Prince <part15...@gmail.com <mailto:part15...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Sure enough. But if it doesn't get USA attention, you may be doing
    a lot of repairs. Sounds like that's what Google discovered.

    part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com

    On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:15 AM Chuck McCown <ch...@wbmfg.com
    <mailto:ch...@wbmfg.com>> wrote:

        I recently got a quote from a contractor for microtrenching.
        $12/foot asphalt repair, duct and handholes included.  Cheaper
        than boring.
        *From:* Colin Stanners
        *Sent:* Saturday, February 09, 2019 10:01 AM
        *To:* AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group
        *Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] OT: Google fiber bailing on Louisville
        From the article: *The tech giant acknowledged problems in
        Louisville with a new method of digging shallower trenches to
        speed up the installation times of the fiber optic cable.
        Google says the problems were "disruptive to residents and
        caused service issues for our customers."*
        *
        *
        Sounds like they tried microtrenching and then discovered its
        limitations, or how little city/construction crews worry about
        hitting fiber when it's at pretty much street level/directly
        in their work area.
        On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 10:43 AM Chuck McCown <ch...@wbmfg.com>