Only issue I know of is that if you turn on the DNS server, then it's an open resolver by default. You have to add a firewall rule(s) to protect it. Someone who went in not realizing that would have a problem. I never used the Mikrotik DNS on a large scale, so it could have practical limits that I'm not aware of.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mathew Howard" <mhoward...@gmail.com>
To: "af" <af@afmug.com>
Sent: 2/12/2018 3:28:39 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] ISP in a box

A CCR could certainly do DHCP and NAT... I seem to remember there being some reason that made using Mikrotik for a DNS server a bad idea, but it would be capable of doing that too. It doesn't take much to run a DNS server, so it might not be a bad idea to stick some kind of a little server in there anyway, but I really don't see any reason why it couldn't all go in a cabinet on the corner of the street... it wouldn't even need to be a particularly large cabinet.