Jim,

An example reference on the theory of computability is "Computability and
Logic" by Boolos, Burgess and Jeffrey. For those who accept the
church-turing thesis, this mathematical theory provides a sufficient account
of the notion of computability, including the space of possible programs
(which is formalized as the set of Turing machines).

--Abram