On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Kerim Aydin <ke...@uw.edu> wrote:

> > > AGAINST.  The fix above (8200) does a better job at the fix.
> > >

> > Please read the comment; this fixes a different problem, not the same
> one.
>
> I sympathize with the comment - working similarly in Arbitor-world
> it's a bear when people don't clearly label arguments/evidence etc.
> But I'd still prefer to leave those fields optional.  Proposing is
> something newer players struggle with and the added little kick of "we
> don't let you rely defaults, you have to re-submit" should be avoided.
> (Personally, I would prefer pending proposals cost something as a
> voluntary quality control rather than relying on exact inclusion of
> all the data all the time, but I know I'm in the minority on that
> right now).

Actually, I think this would help new players. In particular, new players
tend not to understand the power/AI system, and thus tend to submit
proposals that have defaulted AI even when that isn’t actually correct.
Let’s face it, most proposals need an AI greater than 1.0. I think it’s
more user-friendly for that just to fail than to say “now you’ve not only
got to remember to fix it, but also retract the existing version”. If they
don’t resubmit their proposal is just going to stay broken, and then people
will vote against it, which is IMO stronger negative feedback than it just
telling them “that didn’t work because you left out a mandatory field”.
Titles are less of an issue in someways, but if someone leaves out a title
they’re just going to confuse anyone. If we could set defaults that worked
most of the time, then it would make sense to have defaults. As it is, we
have defaults that are either often broken (1.0 AI) or terribly bad
practice and as likely as not to annoy everyone (empty title). Making them
mandatory helps everyone get it right, including new players.

-Aris