I am also an Australian software developer.

I can state with absolute certainty that these figures are absolute
bullshit. 92% of apps running in Australia are not pirated. It is
absolutely ridiculous.

Anecdotally, as a developer I have sought our everybody I know with an
Android phone, maybe half a dozen techies and half a dozen "normal"
people. None of them are even aware of a pirate market in paid Android
apps. The chances of 12 people in a row being in  that 8% -
impossible.

More generally, my app is a live wallpaper. Here is an interesting
stat. My uninstall rate dropped by 20% when I included instructions
for how to run a live wallpaper. At least 20% of android market users
appear unfamiliar with how to run a Live Wallpaper. Yet the statistics
presented imply that 92% of Australians not only know how to install
pirate apps, but also do so. Sound plausible to you?

Australians are no more likely to pirate software than people in any
other developed country. 92% of Australian android phone users
obviously don't pirate android software. For that matter, 54% of
Austrians don't pirate software either, but whatever fraction it is
(I'm guessing a couple of percent at most), Australians and Austrians
aren't going to be that different.

The figures are clearly and obviously wrong. The most basic common
sense should tell you that.