> > On 2007.08.31, Tom Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Although it is easy to try to jump in and start documenting stuff,
> > > there is so little current documentation that there might be an
> > > opportunity to rethink how to do this.
> >
> > Agreed.  How do other, successfull, open source projects--as well as
> > closed-source commercial projects--get documentation written?  Through
> > my own personal (anecdotal) experience, the lead engineers are not the
> > ones that do the majority of the documentation writing.
>
> I'll bet that most successful projects have a roadmap of where they are and
> where they are going. In fact, AOLserver is a successful project as far as I
> can tell. And if it isn't, we damn better figure out, and agree, on the
> current limitations before heading off in some unknown direction. We really
> don't need lead engineers if nobody knows where we are going or why.

I agree, where is AOLserver going. What was the motivation to make the
big changes for AOLserver 4.5?

> There was a question of why nobody is working on bugs. This is very curious. I
> rarely hear of a significant bug that goes unaddressed. A recent one is
> apparently in Tcl, not AOLserver. It is possible that nobody is working on
> bugs because they don't bother anyone enough to really impact their
> application. The only other possibility is that our users are too dumb to
> figure out how to ask about a bug. I haven't seen any evidence of that.

Tom's right. There are 55 open items, some from 2003 but I would not
say this is a major problem. The big problem is understanding where
AOLserver should go from here, before people start working on it.

Dave