On Sunday 02 September 2007 13:51, Daniël Mantione wrote:
> The project needs to move to a model where
> users just need to stick their finger in.

In general this is true, but as you explain below, this is the catch-22 of the
history of AOLserver. If you have any respect for the community process, you
create a patch for some core developer to review. Then it goes nowhere. Been
there, done that. The other way is to just commit to cvs. I did that once for
a pure bug-fix.

> Example: Years ago I did contribute code: A reasonably simple patch to
> make AOLserver use the sendfile system call on Linux instead of
> read/write. It was ignored. Not because of bad intentions, but simply
> because all code had to go through Kriston and was burried in e-mails and
> to do lists.
>
> The bureaucracy of contributing needs to be reduced.

My suggestion is to replace bureaucracy with a consistent process that
everyone follows. There really are no small core changes at this stage. Many
times the process could start with a patch which provides a small change. But
this should be the starting point. The fact that the patch works for the
developer, and 'all the work' is already done except committing to cvs is
frustrating for someone who just spent a lot of their time on it. Even
producing the patch is extra work. On the other hand, some developers just
commit straight to cvs and the community finds out about it whenever. If
everyone had to follow the same path to committing code, it would be easier
to explain to the rest of the community why code can't just be stuck in when
it works on one computer somewhere.

Of course the biggest change in process here would be requiring positive
agreement instead of failure to object. Most people have no idea if a
proposed change will be good or not. Who wants to object without knowing of
any specifc problem with the change? In fact there should not be a need to
object. We see here how poorly it works in identifying strengths and
limitations of the current situation and the proposed situation.