On 21 Apr 2007, at 13:06, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

Tim Panton wrote:

On 21 Apr 2007, at 03:21, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 11:48:20AM -0400, James FitzGibbon wrote:
Has anyone found a softphone that supports pulling it's
configuration from a
central server via TFTP/FTP/HTTP, much like hard desk phones use?
Why would you want to do that?
Because you could provision softphones the way you provision hard
phones. Dynamic configuration through HTTP or even SIP messages.
That would really be great.

I think it's a valid question and I've been searching for such
softphones as myself. They should be usable (so most of them fail)
and should work on a real OS (tm). And no Java please :)

What's your objection to a softphone in java ?

Java is slow and the interface is always ugly and doesn't fit
into the window manager etc. you are used to. :-P I never understood
why I would use Java to write software when I could use C(++) or
when a script language would do.

I tend to agree with you there. If there is a scripting language to do what you need- use it. But there is no scripting language I know with realtime
audio and access to UDP sockets.

Likewise I'm not fond of SwingUI's unless you really-really need portability.

However Corraleta avoids these points by doing all the UI stuff in
HTML, so users can customize it any way they like
(see www.phonefromhere.com).

It lives in a browser, so the window
manager thing doesn't apply (though to be honest what the
other softphones do to the UI rules is pretty scary - see Xten).
Best yet, the behavior is customizable in javascript - A thing I haven't
seen in other softphones - yet.

The simple fact that people have
2 or 3 GHz doesn't mean that I have to burn them for nothing.
The only point may be portability. Do I miss something?

As to speed, you missed out on about 10 years of progress. A modern JVM
is really no slower than the equivalent C++. One of the text-to-speech
engines was ported to Java and ran faster due to the fact that the memory management was smarter than in the C version. Startup is still a problem,
but people live with the startup time of KDE, so what can I say....

Regards,
  Philipp

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
     Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net