SBGK wrote:
> It seems that the digital sq is improved by those working on the
> margins, so upscale inc and jplay are important to those seeking an
> improved sound.
>
> Still think you must be measuring the wrong things to arrive at some of
> your findings. Will be interesting when you tell the 1500 plus regen
> users that, according to your measurements, what they are hearing is all
> in their head.

Okay SBGK.

Suppose you are right with this for a moment. And say I am missing
something... Instead of no difference between bitperfect software 'like
JPlay'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/06/measurements-part-ii-bit-perfect.html)
and suppose there are huge gains to be made between different OS's (even
though I have found no difference between 'Windows 8'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/06/measurements-part-i-bit-perfect.html)
vs. 'Mac OSX'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measurements-bit-perfect-audiophile.html)).
[Note that I also measured the 'AudioEngine USB DAC on Windows Server
2012 R2 as well'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2014/03/measurements-audioengine-d3-usb-dac.html)].

Where's the evidence? If anyone with a bit of preparation and care can
measure differences between high-bitrate lossy compressed audio vs. FLAC
easily. Show the difference between noise floor of 16-bit vs. 24-bit. Or
even as I did recently demonstrate the change in the tweeter frequency
response because I put a box 1" hung over my speakers... All of which
minimally audible at normal listen volumes, how come there is -nothing
-coming out from JPlay, AudioOptimizer [the Wndows Server advocates], or
the Audio Regen people (not even demonstration of reduction of this 8kHz
packet noise they talk about)? All these things are supposed to make
HUGE differences, right!? All we get is -faith and testimony- - and we
have millions of religious followers - 1500+ for the Regen is peanuts...
No different than a cult at this point.

Come on man. This is audio. This is engineering and products supposed to
be based out of science! At least religious followers claim the
existence of a spiritual dimension, though as far as I know, no
audiophiles dare use this explanation for what they hear and expect to
be taken with seriousness. If that's what it is, just say it...

Debate is fun and all, but I'm not specifically looking for a fight.
Audio is something I think we can all love and be passionate about, but
I think it is important to verify claims and understand whether claims
have basis in reality especially when the prices demanded of products
often appear ridiculously high and the claims made appear naive and
poorly reasoned! Honestly, this is not me wanting to "protect" others or
some kind of paternalistic desire... I do want to optimize my system and
am therefore genuinely interested in things that do make a difference.

(BTW: I just plunked down some cash for Acourate because room correction
is one area that really does matter - and measurably so!)

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.