Thanks, Cheri for the help.  I can usually pick out names and key words that 
tell me most of the information I seek.  From there, I have to rely on someone 
like Joao Ventura to transcribe and translate the record. 
 
This John M. Machado Deniz is my friend's paternal grandfather.  So far, I have 
not a solid lead as to where he was born, other than "Azores."  I think I found 
his wife yesterday being baptized in Rosais, Sao Jorge.  I have sent the 
information to Joao for translation.  
 
This couple, most likely married here in the states and the earliest 
information I found was that John purchased a plot (4 graves) at Mt. St. Joseph 
cemetery in Hayward to bury his 10 month old son,  Alexander.
 
Both Eric and Elaine kindly found newspaper, census and deed information that 
led me to Mary Machado Deniz, John's wife, being born in St. Jorge and when her 
sister died, the parents names were listed in her obit.  
 
I had some time yesterday and used the CC site to look through the baptism 
records and using a time frame of 5 years before and 5 years after her 
"probable" year of birth, I THINK I FOUND HER.  I mention this to give everyone 
hope that you can also find your ancestor with a little information and a lot 
of work.  Of course, having the father's name being Alexander de Melo helped.  
I think the record said Alexander was from Vila Franca, Sao Miguel.  Any 
relation to you, Cheri?
 
Thanks again for the help, Celeste, Hayward, CA

Celeste Perry [email protected]

--- On Sat, 4/17/10, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote:


From: Cheri Mello <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Sao Jorge research
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, April 17, 2010, 9:23 AM


For those wanting to take a look the full URL is:
http://pg.azores.gov.pt/drac/cca/biblioteca_digital/SJVMB1870-1879/SJVMB1870-1879_item1/P99.html

Celeste, it looks to me like he puts baby, son of father who is the son of X & 
Y and his wife (baby's mother) who is the daughter of X & Y.  It's hard to tell 
which grandparents are dead. Then it says the church and freguesia stuff. The 
birth date is in the middle of the document, followed by the godparents.

The purple priest (or scribe - and I'm sure the ink wasn't purple, it's 
probably the color that has been left behind over time) wrote that format.  The 
image before in black ink follows the standard format that we're all trained to 
read.  Go up to baptism 24 and the black ink is back along with the standard 
format.  Maybe the purple priest was dipping the pen into the vinho instead of 
the ink and that fantastic table wine got him confused on the format?  LOL

What's interesting about the one you point out is that it translates to:
Manoel, son of Jorge Machado Diniz, son of another one (d'outro) and of Maria 
Florinda (?) da Silveira, both dead (ja defunctos - "ja defun" on one line and 
"ct os" (he put a small space in there when he picked up his pen), and of his 
wife, Maria do Espirito Santo, daughter of Manuel Silveira Pereira, and of 
Barbara Silveira, both dead (ja defunctos all together and when his writes a 
lower case "s" on the end of words he hangs it below the line - you can see 
that elsewhere in this baptism).

I think it was Eliseu or Joao Ventura who clarified the meaning of when a 
person is a son of a "d'outo."  The literal translation is strange.  It means 
that the father has the same name as the son.

I've added a bit more detail here for those who are trying to learn to read, as 
I know Celeste can read pretty much all of the records.

Hopefully a Sao Jorge researcher will also chime in here.
Cheri


#yiv1114109273 #avg_ls_inline_popup {padding:0px 
0px;margin-left:0px;margin-top:0px;width:240px;overflow:hidden;word-wrap:break-word;color:black;font-size:10px;text-align:left;line-height:13px;}

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that 
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."


      

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to