Problem's not fixed. Suggested a solution (a checkbox or some other on/off switch mechanism, off by default, to enable background transfers only whilst main application is open) - given that I don't fully understand every single way in which Kontiki works (although I've wrestled with it as a user for quite some time even before 4OD) I'm somewhat certain it's doable.
I'm having real issues with (ironically) installs of Kontiki-using apps - 4OD's refusing to go away even though it's uninstalled (some remnants of the interface chrome are left) so it likes to appear in the taskbar, as does the BBC Film Network download trial client - even though iPlayer is the only one deliberately loading at startup! Ho hum :D Lots of people are going to have SO many problems with SkyByBroadband (sorry, Sky Anytime) and iPlayer, it's almost not funny. I understand why they chose an 0870 number for their telephone support (granted, they'd be snowed under with all kinds of relevant and irrelevant requests if they had an 0121 or 0800! And I suppose it is fair that the service pays for itself instead of be yet another thing which comes out of the license fee, meaning everybody pays but only a few use). Right, breakfast. > -----Original Message----- > From: Andy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > Sent: 28 July 2007 14:24 > To: [email protected] > Subject: Re: [backstage] iPlayer Today? > > On 28/07/07, mike chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > I'd guess it's because Bittorrent gets traffic shaped out > of existance > > on a lot of ISP's. > > Once ISP's see how much traffic Kontiki generates they won't > traffic shape it? > Could always use encrypted bit torrent. > > I would imagine an ISP would prefer Bit Torrent to Kontiki, > Bit Torrent stops transmitting if you close the application > down. Kontiki keeps running as a process, hidden from the > task bar. You have to go into Task Manager to get rid of it. > > Read the 4OD forums, last time I did most posts where > warnings about how bad Kontiki is and how it got people's > internet account suspended. > > Of course this is only a problem if you have limited monthly > bandwidth. Very few ISPs don't impose some limit (many call > there plan "unlimited" but have a "fair usage policy", which > means you aren't allowed to use as much bandwidth as you want). > > Really sucks when you open up an application to download one > program and later find out that your ISP has cut you off > because when you clicked close the downloader kept going. > > Of course the BBC may have fixed this problem, anyone on the > trail (or the BBC itself) care to confirm whether this is the case? > > Andy > > -- > Computers are like air conditioners. Both stop working, if > you open windows. > -- Adam Heath > - > Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To > unsubscribe, please visit > http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html. > Unofficial list archive: > http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ - Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html. Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

