Enjoying this thread so far.

As the man in charge of the Coyopa project, which'll be fiddling with a lot
of our streams, could I pop in and make the following points (given you know
we're making changes later this year)...

1. We are not removing internet-radio-compatible streams. Panic not.
2. Flash streaming "just works" for most people, and as the TV iPlayer has
shown, a tremendously popular way of consuming content.
3. HTTP downloads are not possible: we don't own most of the content. That's
why you've spotted RTMP being used - it's a form of non-invasive Content
Restriction And Protection. I'm sorry we have to use it. But we have to use
it.
4. In the minority of cases where HTTP downloads are possible, I would like
to make those available for more programmes than just the podcasts.
5. A "pop-up player" will continue to be available in iPlayer when radio
"moves in".

I love the idea of segmenting stories within the Today programme, and I've
ensured that the right people see that idea.

Good.

(grin)

Beer, anyone?