At 03:30 -0700 9/11/10, RobS wrote:
>I'm not sure if it will help the OP, but there's an excellent article
>about the background to all this at ...
>http://db.tidbits.com/article/10537

Scary.

The reason I use BBEdit at all is that MPW doesn't work on OS neXt.  Bare Bones 
offers BBEdit worksheets which are a partial nod to good old MPW which is still 
in use on this 8500 running OS 9.

I rarely use Finder here or on my OS neXt box which is limited to 10.3.9 
because of my SE/30 file server.

What I do on my machines is to always have open either an MPW window, a BBEdit 
worksheet or a gedit file. I have them set up to open automatically every time 
I log in to X, startup OS 9, or login to Linux .

In those windows I keep command lines like:

open fullpath_to_some_text_file
open -a BBedit  ffullpath_to_some_text_file
bbedit fullpath_to_some_text_file  # The bbedit tool comes with BBEdit.
open -a Finder path_to_a-directory

In all cases that full path can be entered by dragging an icon from a Finder or 
Gtk window into the worksheet.

You can collect items into sections of the text files and "mark" the sections 
so they show up in a selectable menu associated with the worksheet. In MPW you 
can alphabetize the marks.

Select the whole line - use BBedit's option to change the cursor to a right 
pointing arrow when you're to the left of a line - and ENTER for BBEdit or MPW. 
Use external tools menu with gedit.

You can even put a short section of Applescript code in the worksheet - use 
osascript - and expect it to be executed with a select and ENTER. You'll find 
some executable perl code in my Worksheets too.

I have ssh access to distant systems and I set up an scp into a temporary file 
followed by a bbedit  of the temp. It's still just a case of selecting a couple 
of lines and poking ENTER or the way I use the mouse, poking the right button. 
It's more flexible than BBEdit with its ftp option - well, that's my opinion.

In short, it's a way to eliminate Finder from your life except when you need it 
for something other than opening files.

As for creator codes when SetFile -c 'R*ch'  or 'MPS ' refuses to work in Linux 
or 10.999 . . . .>
-- 

-->The Creator is the God who provided the void and the rules that matter and 
energy must live by in order to exist in it. Intelligent designers and 
engineers create useful stuff while abiding by the rules.<--

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the 
"BBEdit Talk" discussion group on Google Groups.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
<http://groups.google.com/group/bbedit?hl=en>
If you have a feature request or would like to report a problem, 
please email "[email protected]" rather than posting to the group.
Follow @bbedit on Twitter: <http://www.twitter.com/bbedit>

Reply via email to