You're right. My BBB is a 2 GB eMMC model. And I know I have to boot from
the SD card, at least for the time being.
I did try your suggestion and tried older debain images anf flashed it to
the eMMC, but it didn't work so I am okay with booting from the SD card, I
think I'll buy a smaller sized SD card for this (about 4 GB) and use my 16
GB SD card for some other purpose.

Thank you.

SIncerely,
Viswadeep