The MAC address on this ETH-WIZ is unstable.

The original MAC address was the same Saturday through Tuesday, through
many reboots and different image installations.

I updated the kernel tonight, and after rebooting, the ETH-WIZ appeared to
stop working, but it turns out the MAC address had changed, so the PB was
assigned a different IP address.

I then did another reboot, and it came up on a third MAC address (and
another IP address assigned by the router.)

Another few reboots and a few power cycles, and it has not changed again,
yet.

None of the three MAC addresses had a legitimate OUI.

So there is a random number generator somewhere making up MAC addresses
(which is a violation of sorts of the MAC address assignment process.)
And so far, I have not figured out what triggers it.

So far, I have seen (as seen in 'ifconfig' and confirmed as being used on
the network by the router)
*86:37:73:45:44:E9  *
*62:C0:73:03:5E:AD*
*FE:7F:41:5A:31:F9*

This is weird. None of the three are in legitimate block assignments.

--- Graham

====

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/9232c62e-a1c6-4984-8d86-5d0ab7d18fdc%40googlegroups.com.