Hi

sorry by being late on this.

Am 07.07.20 um 22:13 schrieb Michael Meeks:
> Nevertheless there are some big problems currently. Perhaps
> you think you have a neat solution to one of them. I'd love to hear
> about it - but solving or obsessing about just one is unlikely to do
> the job:

Ok, then some of my ideas to do by TDF

TLTR?: Become a professional managed organization (or or at least create a
sufficient professionalized organizational segment - "from professionals for
professionals"). Which also means: Take the tight resources of the TDF not to
solve every problem in a do-it-yourself mentality but to get them solved
with/by professional help.
Teach people that LibreOffice is not the gratis version of MS Office but a real
great idea which they can and shall support in various ways. Till this field,
then economic returns can be seeded and grow there; and this is something TDF
can do. Don't try to force the TDF to do what it cannot (by statutes and/or by
law) do; if it is a really important issue, create an independent structure for
it.

Full Text:

1. Pay a ~professional to deliver a migration white paper for small, medium an
large enterprises respectively. With does clearly mention the advantages of a
professional support contract. With professional layout and management summary
and whatever else it takes to get it read by a lot of interested people. Base
this on a sound analysis of requirements, not only on marketing labels (as
written somewhere else).
Therefor look for advice from marketing experts (NOT of sales or PR or
communication or the like professionals who call themselves "marketing
expert"!) (sorry Italo, you are undoubtedly a highly qualified communications
professional, but you're not doing marketing in my sense).

1a. Even if they are true, avoid statements like "...and can significantly
reduce the Total Cost of Ownership of enterprise PCs because it replaces the
license cost with a substantially lower migration cost" in an official document
(LibreOffice Migration Protocol, p. 1 in this case)! Anyhow, the migration
protocol seems to be a good starting point.

2. Pay a full time LO developer to do mentoring workshops on a regular base,
embedded by a communication campaign also led by a PR ~professional,
advertising these workshops in local (modern social) media. I. e.: For
Germany/DACH rent Linux hotel for one week and offer a hacking LO workshop
there for (nearly) free - and advertise that widely in DACH media (not only IT
centered ones), based on a ~sound media analysis of what is read by our
targeted group. Both effects - educating/recruiting programmers and having a
widespread LO image campaign - will be worth the money.
Besides that we still suffer from the "OpenOffice - oops, I meant
LibreOffice"-effect (OpenOffice meant a as class of software, not perceived as
a distinct product vs. LibreOffice) and still have to establish the right name
for the right product by an image campaign.
Develop this an a "standard"-module (by documentation, standard teaching
material, checklist, do's and don'ts...) to encourage local communities to copy
that for their country (similar as the conference is a teamwork between la
local community and a professional, experienced orga-team at TDF). Send them
the developer in case of need.

3. Pay a ~professional organization to deliver a basic set of training
materials under a CC license (i.e. attribution share-alike). Which may then
been translated by the community - or enterprises using them. Lack of local
training capabilities often seem to be the bottleneck of migration projects, so
we should enforce them.

5. Set up a professional qualification structure (like lpi) with certificates
and all this stuff. At least give the picture of doing so.
"LibreOffice Certification is completely different from commercial
certification... TDF is looking for LibreOffice Ambassadors, able to provide
value-added professional services to grow the LibreOffice ecosystem."[1] is a
nice try but will not foster commercial organizations to trust in - rather to
get suspicious.

6. Stop trying to use TDF as a selling point. Won't work and even worse damage
the project. It's ok to express concerns where TDF is standing in the way of
business (or "ecosystem") interests and helping it stepping aside. But having
the managers in charge of all of the tree "ecosystem partners" mentioned on our
website [2] as members of the BoD leaves me pondering.
Perhaps we should also put a definition of what is an "ecosystem partner" (and
what to do to become one) on that page.
btw: this page [2] should imho not be in "downloads" but in "Discover".

6. ...still thinking...

[1] https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/certification/
[2] https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-in-business/
--