--- Ticia Luengo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am I reading this right? This guy works up to 80 hr
> a week and *still* has
> time to read a ton of books, watch games and movies,
> worry about being
> single in NY, and write such long and elaborate
> emails from the office at
> 9.30 pm???

> flabbergasted and getting *nothing* done on her
> fortnightly day off,
>
> Ticia ',:)
> ----------

Hi Ticia,
Thanks, I, umm, think.  I don't think my energy levels
are anything out of the ordinary, actually.  If you're
interested, my normal weekday schedule looks something
like:
5:45 - wake up (Definitely the worst part of my day)
6:15 - go to the gym
7:45 - get back from gym
8:30 - leave for work
9:00 - get to work
Once I'm at work my schedule varies a great deal - it
usually begins with checking voice and e-mail then
runs to whatever my tasks are for the day.  My time
for leaving work varies a great deal - when I'm on a
case (as I am right now) if I'm lucky I get out by
8:00, but that's unusual.  More often I get out
sometime between 10:00 and midnight - I have been at
the office as late as 1:30am.  So on average, let's
say:
10:30 - leave work.  I usually spend the half hour of
the commute (if I leave after 8:00pm I can take a cab
home) on the phone either handling still more voice
mails or talking to parents/other relatives/friends.
11:00 - get home
11:00-12:00 read, get reacquainted with roommates,
etc.
12:00-12:30 - get to sleep
On Fridays (like today) I usually get out considerably
earlier - 7:00, if I'm lucky, go to the gym _after_
work, then do some sort of social activity (a party,
most often) until 2:00-3:00am or so.
Lunch and dinner are usually eaten at my desk, so they
count as work time, I'm afraid.  That adds up to 67.5
hours at the office on this schedule - a fairly easy
week by Firm standards, actually - plus 7.5 hours in
the gym, and 5 hours commuting.  Plus I have all of
the weekends, which is when I get most of my
reading/social life done.  Since I eat 10+ meals at
the office every week (and breakfast if I work out is
a protein shake, otherwise I eat that at the office as
well), I actually do almost no grocery shopping, which
helps.
Anyways, the point of all of this is that 70 hour
weeks are actually not nearly as bad as they sound,
once you adjust.  I only watch about 4.5 hours of TV a
week (Alias, the Simpsons, 24, the West Wing, and Law
& Order) although, except for Alias, I catch even
those shows only about half the time (our VCR is
communal).  So I actually have a fair amount of time
to read and do other things - my weekends have (this
study) been entirely free, actually, which has been
great.  That won't last, but I've enjoyed it while I
could.  So it really isn't too bad at all - once my
schedule settled down I had much more free time than I
ever thought I would.
Since we're supposed to consolidate e-mails - I don't
get overtime, Jeroen, so that doesn't help much :-)
And as for being single in New York - when you do
spend as much time at the office as I do (and are as
bad at the bar scene as I am) it is a surprisingly
hard city to meet people, which can get to you after a
while.
So let that put to rest the idea that I have abnormal
energy levels - now, the people in my office who work
my schedule _and_ ran the New York marathon, _they_
have abnormal energy levels.  God, I wish I could do
things like that.

Gautam