John Giorgis said:

> 2) I think that the history of the Israel/Palestine problem is highly
> unlikely to be repeated in other conflicts in the future.

Suppose some manner of Kurdistan were produced and various Turkish and
Arab groups expelled or otherwise displaced. Wouldn't that be quite a
similar situation? Weren't the ethnic realignments in the Balkans
similar in some respects?

> Thus, people who insist upon this discussion of the history
> are fundamentally non-serious in the pursuit of a solution.

I find this a pretty strange statement. Surely at worst, understanding
the history is orthogonal to resolving the problem. To say that anybody
who'd like to understand the origins of a situation is "fundamentally
non-serious" about a solution is a nice rhetorical flourish, but not
particularly fair.

Rich, who thinks that probably sounds more confrontational than he'd
planned, but whose young cousin just arrived and demanded help with
homework so he's going to send it now rather than throw it onto the
vast pile of draft emails.