--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Social Security privatization isn't likely to help
> the problem I'm
> talking about. I'm referring to the problem of only
> 1.5 workers per
> retired person (if retirement stays at 65) in 2050.
> But perhaps that
> just means that people will delay retirement to 75,
> and by then the
> worst of the age wave will have past.
>
> "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, the US retirement age is already scheduled to be
at 67 by then, and I rather imagine that it will be
higher.  But I don't recall seeing a demographic
projection that puts the _US_ situation at 1.5:1 by
2050.  Europe, certainly - Italy will be below 1:1.
If that were to happen, though, there's no doubt in my
mind that the retirement age would go up substantially
to prevent exactly that from happening.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]