--- "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thus, the mere fact that Sandy Kofax isn't tops in
> strikeouts - (and the fact that you didn't really
> follow that up with other signgle-measures of
> greatness) tells me nothing about whether or not
> Kofax merits the title of "greatest pitcher of
> all-time."
>
> JDG

John, that's my point.  What is the purpose of a
pitcher?  It's to keep runs off the board.  That's it.
 A pitcher has only one function on a team.
No-hitters, strikeouts, "stuff", they're all
meaningless.  The only thing that counts is keeping
runs off the board.  Bob was telling me about
strikeouts and stuff and no-hitters.  The first two of
those are things that get you to a good pitcher.  The
third is just a fun statistic.  It's impressive, but a
no-hitter does no more for a team than a one-hitter.
That's why we talk about ERA.  Even more it's why we
talk about ERA+ (that is, ERA adjusted for league and
park context).  As you get more sophisticated we can
talk about Win Shares (Bill James's new invention) or
VORP (Value Over Replacement Player) - all these
wonderful tools that people have invented to measure
exactly how good a pitcher is.  They are designed to
take into account all these varying factors that go
into what makes a great pitcher.  Bob, so far as I can
tell, is arguing that we should just abandon all of
these ideas in favor of I remember that guy, he was
really great.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]