Just curious, how does the result of the Phaser run  with the Alphafold model compare with a Phaser run using the Arcimboldo phased model as a probe?
Boaz

Boaz Shaanan, Ph.D.
Department of Life Sciences
Ben Gurion University of the Negev
Beer Sheva
Israel

On Dec 4, 2020 00:32, Anastassis Perrakis <a.perra...@nki.nl> wrote:
AlphaFold - or similar ideas that will surface up sooner or later - will beyond doubt have major impact. The accuracy it demonstrated compared to others is excellent.

“Our” target (T1068) that was not solvable by MR with the homologous search structure or a homology model (it was phased with Archimboldo, rather easily), is easily solvable with the AlphaFold model as a search model. In PHASER I get Rotation Z-score 17.9, translation Z-score 26.0, using defaults.

imho what remains to be seen is:

a. how and when will a prediction server be available?
b. even if training needs computing that will surely unaccessible to most, will there be code that can be installed in a “reasonable” number of GPUs and how fast will it be?
c. how do model quality metrics (that do not compared with the known answer) correlate with the expected RMSD? AlphaFold, no matter how impressive, still gets things wrong.
c. will the AI efforts now gear to ligand (fragment?) prediction with similarly impressive performance?

Exciting times.

A.