From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Jan Löwe
<j...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
Sent: 04 December 2020 10:33
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] AlphaFold: more thinking and less pipetting (?)

AlphaFold2 and its performance are indeed a true breakthrough of potentially
seismic proportion - and will accelerate much of what we are trying to achieve.

But I feel it is also important to point out that the method principally relies
on experimental data: lots of protein sequences that through evolution have
evolved to generate very similar folds and structures. Machine learning is used
to transform the resulting (experiment-derived) co-evolution matrices (can be
thought of as images for ML training) into distances between atoms. The
distances are then used to generate models (minimiser in Alpha Fold 1,
something ML in 2, as far as I could figure out). Note that contacts between
proteins can also generate evolutionary couplings (as already used by the
pioneers of the field, such as Debora Marks and Chris Sander), so something
like AlphaFold will be able to make inroads there as well and that application
might well have a greater impact.

This leaves three important goals remaining if I may add: 1) a way to do this
for any single sequence, without alignment, or indeed any folding polymer (for
when we will be able to make coded polymers that are not made from amino
acids). 2) a method to obtain accurate numbers, such as binding energies and
rates. 3) the inverse: predicting sequences that have a particular
function/fold.

I would like to suggest that all three will require looking at how we can use
more of the physics of the problem, but might well involve more machine
learning.

Jan