I wouldn't have a clue how to use "old skool CGI technology"
and don't see how I could a dynamic, database-driven website with
just HTML...never heard of "bespoke tools" either.  However, I have
now, since I googled for it and found their site... they use Flash... I hate
designing with Flash...

User experiences... yes, Ajax, etc.  Starting to use jQuery.  I haven't
worked with Ajax, yet.

I've looked into ASP.NET, but I dislike working with components, yet
can't code it by hand.

Basically, you need to understand that I have no background whatsoever
in computer programming.  Never took a computer course in all my years
in college.

I pickup up web design on my own as a personal and business interest,
and Cold Fusion as a means to be able to create a means for clients
to update their own content.  It was intuitive for me.  Later I began
to use the automated email, etc., as enhancements to sites.  I still get
a lot of miles out of 4.5...

But I must say, with the requests I'm getting for business applications,
I would like to enhance usability with Ajax so the
interfaces work more like traditional software.  I'm using Javascript to
enhance the interfaces, but would like the single-page data management
that Ajax brings to the table.

Rick