In my area, a few of us subscribe to a laminate headsail/Dacron main
philosophy.  Seems to work pretty well.  I think for the older C&C's, it's
particularly viable since the boats are primarily head sail driven.

Touche's racing main is a 1 full + 3 partial batten, loose footed,
triradial square weave Dacron main that has has performed well.  My
cruising main is a Dacron crosscut 2 full + 2 partial batten fixed footed
main that has seen about 10,000 nm service.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA