Gustavo Franco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> > PS: Some friends have always argued that the debian way is the only
>> > sustainable way to go. If mdk is going to do it just like debian, why
>> > not fold and move the idea's and effort into making debian a better
>> > distro instead of duplicating the effort?
>
> Sorry, but i've the same view!

There are some interesting possibilities there, and I see Mandrake and
Debian as being largely complimentary.  That is, Mandrake's strengths
are Debian's weaknesses, and vice-versa.  As an example, Mandrake's
installer is a lot nicer than Debian's, but Debian's package manager
makes upgrades easier.

There are both technical and on-technical issues.

On the technical side, the most obvious is .deb vs. RPM.  I can assure
you that Debian is not going to switch, especially since most of us
regard dpkg as being a superior tool.  If this integration happens, it
would likely have to do so within the dpkg framework.

Debian is, however, a highly modular system.  We have seen installers
for Debian ported over from Caldera, among other places, as an
example.

Then there are non-technical questions.  The main one I see is how
Mandrake developers would find a place to do what they like within
Debian.  Since I know little about the Mandrake community, this is a
tough one to speculate about.

One possibility is forming a Debian-Mandrake project in Debian, along
the lines of the Debian Desktop project.  Or, joining the existing
Desktop and installer projects.

I imagine it could be frustrating for people used to doing the
packaging themselves to have to deal with an already-established
Debian maintainer for something.  On the other hand, Debian doesn't
have any code from Mandrake, so those would all come in as new
packages.

There is also the problem with Debian's new-maintainer system being
slow.  However, with enough support from the Debian side, that can be
overcome reasonably well.

-- John