> I never proposed any kind of fork.

Yes, you already said that, as everyone should have seen.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker&m=104457720609404&w=2

A fork is not even possible. Only a fool could even dream to do a work as good
as done by Chmouel, Warly and all the Mandrake developers without 200 top
developers.

This thread is about is the creation of a community to help Mandrake.
Such a community already exist, but, it should be easier to help.
People want to help Mandrake, but they are not organized.
We don't have guidelines for rpm, no information is given on how to become
mainteners.
Of course, there is some IRC channels ( not docuemented on website ), and this
mailling list, but, I think that some thing, such as RPM related question are
out of topic here.

Austin and others have done a wonderful work, once they organized by
themselves, with the survey of the Linux Audio Users Groug.

And I think that Austin would like to have some infrastructure to help people
to work like this. Some way to easyly set up some work groups.

So, as posted before, what about a groupware system.
Something with first a TODO list, where people can agree to work on some
tasks, such as , to give a recent example, check the licence of differents
packages. With a system to be able to see the state of the task, who works,
what they do etc etc.

Somebody said that one mailling list is not good, but, I don't know if we need
more maillings lists

I think we should at least have a mailling list to discuss about packaging.
The pb, the best practices, and so on.

I am sure that other ML could be set up, but I do not have any idea.
Maybe one for each topic ( ie kernel, one for workstation uses, one for
server, etc ).

What do you think about ?

--

MickaŽl Scherer