On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 12:28, Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> What about puting this package on main instead contrib. It seems lot of poeple
> want or need it:

It would help a LOT of new users out.
I can't tell you how often I get an email saying something like:

I was trying to install xxx, but it failed, so I got a bunch of old rpms
from other distros off rpmfind.net, and now nothing works.
I get this all the time.

The reasons are two:
- people don't know about urpmi or don't know how to use it
- people don't know where to find mandrake RPM repositories or how to
set them up

Since we are living in the Windows era, there is no use trying to tell
people to use man pages or read instruction manuals.  I'd say 80% of
what the average user can do with a computer, he learned from
experimenting with the GUI.

Since I feel that urpmi is Mandrake's least well know, least well
respected, and most underrated feature of the distro, we should try to
introduce as many people as possible to it.

I feel the best way to do this, is make a big fancy repository GUI for
morons, and put it in a very obvious location of the menu.  Makes people
happy, teaches them about using rpmdrake/urpmi with rpms built
specifically for Mandrake 9.1, gives them way more packages to install
in one click/command, and hopefully, they stay with the distro.

urpmi.setup could be one of the best features of 9.1.  Please consider
putting it in main and installing it by defualt.  Seriously.

Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant