On Thursday 13 February 2003 05:33, Denis HAVLIK wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Buchan Milne wrote:
>
> + Furthermore, I think it might be modified to be able to easily get a
> + mirror list from MandrakeClub, specifically so that Club Members could
> + easily setup a urpmi source for MandrakeClub, for things like getting
> + the NVidia drivers.
>
> FYI, "MandrakeFirsttime" will let folks declare that they are
> Club members and even subscribe directly (trial accounts with
> boxes) and automatically configure Club downloads in 9.1.
>
> cu
>       Denis

Then there have to be some changes made to MandrakeFirsttime.

The way MandrakeFirsttime is right now, it triggers my panic nerves: I see a
explanation which is too long to fit on one screenful: "we will not use this
data to ... we do use this data for ..." [too long for me to read]
followed by a request for personal information. I automatically click cancel.
[More about the text below]

There are alternative designs: Don't show the screen with the long
explanations, jump straight to the user setup screen and have a checkbox:
"Share this data with MandrakeSoft" and a button next to it which brings up
the explanations of what is involved if one chooses to do the sharing.

Has anyone here ever read the text? Here's a copy of the first 4 lines as they
are in 9.0, I believe it is the same in cooker:

" What personal data do we collect ?

Various information is collected in different areas of the website;
what follows is an overview of the data we keep:

Firstly, we record your email address, name and postal address."

1) >>website<<??? This seems completely inappropriate for mandrakefirsttime.
2) "we record your ..." and no opt-out? This makes me hit cancel right away.

I suspect the text was simply copied without modifications from mandrakeexpert
or some other website!

If anybody replies in support of this usability issue, I'll open a 2
bugreports on Mandrakefirsttime in bugzilla,  one for the text and one for
the lack of a "share/do not share this info with mandrake" checkbox.

Narfi.