>URL for his article is http://emperors-clothes.com/articles/jared/expan.htm
>www.tenc.net [Emperor's Clothes]
>
>KLA Attacks Everyone; Media Attacks...Miloshevich?
>by Jared Israel (3-2-2001)
>
>The Western media is preparing us for yet another terrorist war which NATO
>will be helpless to prevent although it is training the terrorists.
>
>"Western special forces were still training the guerrillas, as a result of
>decisions taken before the change of government in Yugoslavia." (BBC, Jan.
>29, 2001) (1)

*****   New York Times 28 February 2001

U.S. and NATO Back Serbian Access to Kosovo Buffer Zone

By JANE PERLEZ

BRUSSELS, Feb. 27 - Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said today 
that the United States was prepared to allow Serbian soldiers back 
into a three-mile-wide buffer zone along the Kosovo border, where 
Albanian militants have been increasingly active.

Such a concession would be the first such easing of the stern 
restrictions that NATO imposed on the Yugoslav Army after the bombing 
campaign of 1999.

The "ground safety zone," on the Serbs' side of the border, was set 
up to keep Yugoslav and Serbian troops and NATO peacekeepers well 
separated after the Kosovo war, while Slobodan Milosevic was still in 
power.  Only lightly armed police officers are now allowed in the 
area.

But one section, the Presevo valley, has become a haven for armed 
Kosovar Albanian guerrillas who seem to want to annex the valley to 
an independent Kosovo.  NATO has been increasingly concerned that the 
conflict could intensify, but has been reluctant to send in troops.

Today, with General Powell standing beside him, Lord Robertson, the 
secretary general of NATO, said NATO was prepared to carry out a 
"phased and continued reduction of the ground safety zone" and return 
the area to Serbian authorities.  But Lord Robertson offered no 
details, and said NATO needed "further military advice" to carry out 
the plan.

Kosovo, a province of Serbia, has effectively been under United 
Nations control since the end of the NATO bombing.

NATO had been expected to announce today how it would deal with the 
Albanian insurgents.  But last week the Bush administration failed to 
define the specifics on how far NATO troops, including American 
soldiers, might go to calm the situation.

That is a particularly sensitive issue for Washington because the 
Presevo valley abuts the sector of Kosovo where American troops are 
stationed.

The United States agrees to a phased re-entry into the buffer zone of 
soldiers from Serbia, and Yugoslavia, which includes Serbia, General 
Powell said, but he gave no timetable.

He said the return of the soldiers would be "conditioned," a 
reference to a plan by Nebojsa Covic, Serbia's new deputy prime 
minister, that includes some concessions to ease border tensions. 
Among Mr. Covic's proposals is the integration of some Albanians into 
the local Serbian police forces in the Presevo region, whose 
residents are about 90 percent Albanian.

Among the conditions that NATO is setting is that Serbian soldiers 
and police officers who were involved in attacks on Kosovars would be 
excluded from any force that might return to the area.

Lord Robertson also met in Brussels today with Carla del Ponte, 
prosecutor of the war crimes tribunal at The Hague, which has 
indicted Mr. Milosevic for crimes against the Kosovars. No details 
were disclosed.

Recent killings of civilian Serbs in the border zone by Albanian 
militants have inflamed passions, leading to concerns at NATO about 
renewed fighting.

"Serb tanks are in a very, very aggressive position," one American 
official said.  "They are in a position to run roughshod over this."

For the moment, he added, Serbian authorities have pledged restraint, 
but it is not clear how long that restraint will last, the official 
said.

General Powell said today at the news conference with Lord Robertson 
that the problem should be resolved without having Serbian forces 
become "belligerents," which would make "a more difficult situation 
than we have now."

Lord Robertson said NATO forces along the buffer zone had taken 
measures to tighten controls and "crack down on extremists." NATO has 
about 43,000 troops in Kosovo, including about 5,700 Americans.

Finally, in Belgrade today, the Yugoslav government indicated that it 
welcomed the effort to solve the problem.

The interior minister, Zoran Zivkovic, welcomed the announcement at 
NATO as a policy success for the new Yugoslav government, saying it 
was "obvious to everyone that the ground security zone was the least 
secure place in Europe."

Cedomir Jovanovic, leader of the government alliance in the Serbian 
parliament, said he welcomed NATO's decision but warned that Serbian 
forces would move to solve the issue alone if necessary.

"If NATO does not fulfill its obligations, then we will do it," he said.

General Powell, who was making his debut appearance at the North 
Atlantic Council, where the foreign ministers of the 19 NATO 
countries meet, said he had explained the Bush administration's 
policies toward missile defense and a planned European "rapid 
reaction" force, which is to include 60,000 troops, telling his 
colleagues that Washington would consult with them as concrete plans 
for missile defense evolved.

He repeated President Bush's statement of last week that the United 
States endorsed the development of the rapid reaction force, which is 
intended to send European troops to trouble spots where NATO is not 
engaged.   *****

What do Jared & others on the CrashList think of this development?

Yoshie

_______________________________________________
CrashList website: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base

Reply via email to