I started this topic/conversation about the GUI, but at first it was just a question, if the order could be changed to make it feel more logical and pleasant to me to work with. I now understand the reasoning behind this and that it should not be changed. But underneath there is more I must admit.

Many friends who are photographers, amateur and professional, I have pointed towards Linux because I love it and never want to go back to Windows and Apple. They have mastered Gimp and love that program too, so they never use Photoshop anymore. But they never mastered any raw editor on Linux. All admit DT is extremely powerfull and the best one available for Linux, but all stick to one of the (payed) alternatives on Windows or Apple because they find them more intuitive and quicker and very visual. They (and I) don't think in numbers, ranges and curves, but in light, shadow, sharpness, blur, color, contrast, texture. LR for example works as an extension of that mind and it named all tools to resemble what the user 'feels' that has to be done to create a good image. I think that is why it is so popular.

I don't want to say LR is better than DT, absolutely not (!), but I'm a trained photographer and after working with DT on and off for about 3 years now, I still don't manage to get the results I want, and if I do it takes much more work. 'Then pick another tool and stop complaining' is a reply I sometimes get, and that is true too ;). The thing is I regret that there is no real alternative to all the Windows/Apple programs that could move more people over to Linux. So for now my friends keep working on their Windows machines and I still have two computers I have to switch between. One with LR and Capture One, and my Linux pc for everything else. Meanwhile I hope for some other open source raw editor emerging on the Linux platform and I bravely keep on trying to master DT because I want to get rid of that Windows machine :).