It seems that some of the dependency chains for packages that are still
waiting to be rebuilt on armel,armhf now end at openjdk-17, which is the
default Java version for most architectures and Build-Depends on itself
(with an alternative dependency on openjdk-16, but that no longer exists).
evolution-data-server -> libphonenumber-dev is an example.

Are the ARM or Java teams intending to re-bootstrap openjdk-17 somehow?

Or do maintainers of packages that build both a C/C++ library and Java
bindings from a single source package need to disable its Java bindings
on the affected architectures, either temporarily or permanently?

openjdk-21 is in a similar situation, build-depending on itself, while
openjdk-22 and openjdk-23 build-depend on -21 and -22 respectively.
Presumably once we have a single OpenJDK version that is installable,
it would be possible to step through 18,19,20,21 building each version
with the previous one.

In the -ports world, hppa doesn't have Java anyway, while m68k, powerpc
and sh4 seem to have had a re-bootstrap at some point; so I think it's
only the release architectures armel and armhf that have a problem here.

    smcv