On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 7:44 PM Thorsten Glaser
<t.gla...@qvest-digital.com> wrote:

> I’m answering back from the $dayjob address because Googlemail
> cannot communicate with normal mailservers.
>
> >I can send you two dev boards, if you want them. The first is
> >Wandboard Dual (Cortex-A9, ARMv7 with NEON), and the second is
> >CubieTruck 5 (Cortex-A7, ARMv7 with NEON and VFPv4). Both work, but I
> >don't use them much anymore. I've mostly moved on to Aarch64.
>
> That is certainly an option, if you don’t want them any more and want
> to ship them to .de, although it’ll likely take longer than just getting
> access on a suitable project machine. RAM is tight on them, but with
> swap the compiling should work. Both seem to have serial console, good.

Nothing beats a native compile in your basement. It sure beats the
snot out of a cross-compile, or an emulator like a Debian QEMU/Chroot.
I switched to the dev boards after getting frustrated with
cross-compiles. (So many makefiles are poorly written, and can't
handle a simple cross-compile).

And I run a first class swap file on all of my dev boards. SDcards are
easy to replace. A SDcard lasts 6 to 9 months before you start seeing
unexplained file system errors. That's around the time you know it's
time to replace the SDcard.

> Do they run stock Debian armhf?

So the CubieTruck is embarrassingly down level:

cubietruck:~$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Linaro
Release:        14.04
Codename:       trusty

The Wandboard is doing better:

wandboard:~$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        11
Codename:       bullseye

I don't mind shipping to Europe if you don't mind paying the VAT. I
think you will be the fourth or fifth Debian maintainer I've sent
hardware to.

Jeff